3rd Annual Brooklyn Parent Center Conference
Friday, June 1, 2012, 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
LIU, Brooklyn Campus Library Learning Center, 1 University Plaza, Brooklyn.
The Brooklyn Parent Center Conference will provide resources, relaxation and information for parents, grandparents and caregivers of children with disabilities. There will be workshops on preschool services, transition, conflict resolution, sexual assault victims with disabilities, LGBTQ youth with disabilities, parents with disabilities and more.
Keynote Speaker: Lawrence Carter, the Long Public Affairs Specialist at the National Council on Disability.
Register on-line at www.BrooklynParentCenter.eventbrite.com or call 718-998-3000
- Registration begins & Continental Breakfast
- Welcome, The Honorable Kathleen M. Cashin, Ed.D, Member, New York State Board of Regents, Regent for the Borough of Brooklyn
- Keynote Speaker, Lawrence Carter-Long, Public Affairs Specialist, National Council on Disability
Concurrent Morning Workshops
- Special Education Mediation
- What to do When Your Child Want to Date, Travel and Be Independent
- Project Shield - Criminal Justice and Community Response to Sexual Assault Victims with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- Preschool Services
- Lunch with live music and 5-minute massages (FREE)
Concurrent Afternoon Workshops
- Hear Our Voice: LGBTQ Youth with Disabilities
- A Father's Perspective: Challenges & Triumphs of Raising a Child with a Disability
- Marriage and Parenting with a Disability
- Partners in Transition
- Me Time: It's All About The Parent!
The Brooklyn Parent Center is a program of Brooklyn Center for Independence of the Disabled. The conference is sponsored by the NYS Education Department, Office of the Brooklyn Borough President, Long Island University/Occupational Therapy Department and Reel Abilities NY Disabilities Film Festival.