.

Update: Worker Killed in Carlton Avenue Building Collapse

Partial collapse trapped two workers at Carlton Avenue construction site Monday.

Update: 12:20 p.m.: One of the workers injured in Monday's building collapse was declared dead on arrival at Brooklyn Hospital, according to the New York Times' City Room blog.

Police described the worker killed Monday as a 67-year-old black male. The other worker, a 43-year-old male, was sent to Kings County Hospital with a shoulder injury, police said.

The worker's name has not been released. 

====

Update, 11:45 a.m.: Ernest Simmons, a resident of a building across the street from Monday's collapse, said workers had been lifting heavy blocks to the four-story structure's top floor hours before the incident. 

Simmons said he saw a "crane-like" apparatus used to haul the blocks to the top floor at around 7:50 a.m. before going back to bed. 

"It was a big noise, like an explosion," he said. 

According to a Department of Buildings spokeswoman, inspectors were still at the scene investigating the cause of Monday's collapse. 

The site is being developed by Brooklyn-based Professional Grade Construction Group. Simmons said work on the structure began in March. 

"It's been pretty quiet over there," Simmons said. "But not today."

Receive updates to this story and other breaking news in your inbox or smartphone by signing up for our newsletter here

A partial collapse of a four-story building under construction on Carlton Avenue sent two workers to the hospital early Monday.

According to the New York Fire Department, the incident occurred at 9:13 a.m. at 214 [Correction: 225-233] Carlton Ave., with several floors apparently collapsing on top of the basement, trapping two workers.

A neighbor next door said he heard a loud crash that sent him out onto the street to see what happened.

One worker was sent to Brooklyn Hospital and was listed in serious condition, according to FDNY. Fire officials said a second worker was sent to Kings County Hospital with a shoulder injury.

Police sealed off the block of Carlton between Willoughby and Dekalb avenues while Department of Building officials examined surrounding structures.

Stick with Patch for updates.

mk September 10, 2012 at 05:36 PM
I live at 214 Carlton Ave. -- this incident did NOT happen there. It happened at 231 Carlton, down the block (at the Carlton Mews construction site).
Paul Leonard (Editor) September 10, 2012 at 06:05 PM
Thanks for the catch, mk. We've updated our post to indicate the correct address.
Joe Gonzalez September 15, 2012 at 08:10 PM
Update. Congratulations to City Councilmember Tish James. Ms. James spend two days working with the police and the community to track down the dead construction worker's family. They were located in Florida and given the bad news. Thank you Ms. James for going above the call of duty during this very hard time for everyone.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something