The raging fire that broke out at the Pratt Institute's Clinton Hill campus during the early hours of Friday, Feb. 15 was an accident, the New York Fire Department announced Tuesday.
FDNY officials took to their Twitter account account to say the "cause of last week's 4-alarm ... is accidental electrical, wiring on the 6th floor."
The fire began at 2:15 a.m. and took two hours and 168 firefighters to put out, with two firefighters and one resident sustaining minor injuries.
A statement on Pratt Institute's website noted the building's roof and its sixth floor were gutted. The fifth floor, which includes an art studio, was badly damaged by the fire and there is water damage throughout the building, the statement said.
The historic main building, which was built in 1887, houses fine art classes and studios in addition to administrative offices. The school is accepting donations that will go toward rebuilding at www.pratt.edu/give.