Summer is almost upon us... and to celebrate this week I’m writing about my wife’s second favorite thing in the world — ice cream. Her son, John Carlito, definitely has the top spot in her heart. And not far behind (and possibly a tantrum away) from the number one spot, is ice cream.
As for me, I fall somewhere after a day at the beach but definitely before an Insane Clown Posse concert, she says. When I told her what I was writing about this week, I heard the words, “I’ll be your undercover agent,” as she ran out the front door. Below is a list of her research results, with some input from yours truly.
So, with no further ado Fort Greene and Clinton Hill...I scream, you scream, we all scream for organic, unpasteurized, homemade and gourmet ice cream.
5. Mr. Softee - (Chocolate dipped vanilla cone - $2.50) - The pied piper of ice cream normally parks itself on Clermont in front of the elementary school on weekdays. That’s right in front of my apartment. I definitely take advantage of this stay-at-home dad perk and often find myself surrounded by a sea of school children, parents and nannies all working our way toward our favorite ice cream cones. The eighth wonder of the world is how Mr. Softee can get the chocolate to harden on the soft serve ice cream.
4. Bittersweet - (Jamaican Grape - $5 for two scoops) - One of my wife’s favorite treats. Is there such a thing as an ice cream sommelier?
3. Ice Cream Club - (three ice cream social invites for $15) - Apparently, there is an inner ice cream circle in the neighborhood. My wife was devastated to find out she was not in it. I understand the club is akin to the Skull and Bones secret society — or at least that’s what I told her as I slipped out our window in my hooded cloak with my homemade batch in hand.
2. - (Nestle ice cream bar - $1) - After a couple drinks and a late night out I go to the last convenience store open in the neighborhood. Here I pick up the hot dog of ice cream bars, for $1 a pop. The price is right, so I’m not afraid to eat several in one sitting. It’s happiness reprocessed for me.
1. General Greene - (Salted Carmel Pretzel - $4 for two scoops) - Hands down the wife’s favorite neighborhood place for ice cream. Salted caramel pretzel is the key to her heart. Though, I’m wondering if she’s tried the new rage in London, breast milk ice cream.