Happy New Year!
Many city services and community centers will not be available today, so we've put together a brief list of what’s open and what’s not on the first day of 2013.
1. Since New Year's Day is a federal holiday, all federal offices, including post offices, public schools and banks, are closed. So are public schools and banks.
2. Libraries and government offices will also be closed on New Year's Day.
3. Alternate side parking and parking meters are suspended on Jan. 1.
4. The Metro North will operate a special Holiday Schedule
5. The Long Island Rail Road will provide additional trains to and from Penn Station. As in prior years, open alcoholic beverage containers will not be allowed on LIRR trains, platforms and at stations from 12 p.m. on New Year's Eve through 12 p.m. on New Year's Day. MTA Police will enforce this restriction.
6. Subways and buses will operate on a Sunday schedule. Expect longer wait times on some bus routes.
7. Public parks will be open on New Year's Day.